13.1.13

On technology...


I said in the first post that part of the reason I went away was to escape technology and home comforts for a while. Before I left, I had a slightly romanticised image of the more rural areas as being blissfully free of excessive technology – no TV, internet or computers. Sparse home comforts; maybe I’d have a fan in my room. It didn’t really turn out that way.
     The first rural place I stayed was 4000 islands in Laos, a place that only got electricity in the last decade or so. Not to say that people were living a backward existence there, but it was definitely more simplified. My first surprise was to see a big air-con unit on the wall in my room, it probably cost more than everything else in there combined. But in the 35C heat, man was I glad of it! Round one to technology. 
     As I explored this small island with a new friend, we found a waterfall. At the entrance to the waterfall area was a ticket hut that sold a few drinks too. They had a wi-fi connection. I was gobsmacked. 2:0 to technology. Turns out the island got internet connection about 5 years ago, now they have wi-fi in a tiny wooden hut away from the small village. Electricity 10 years ago, 5 years ago: internet, now wi-fi. Technology moves fast. But it brings benefits; with electricity, a few family run guesthouses popped up, which brought a few more visitors and more money for the locals. Some houses put a few tables and chairs outside and sold food to the visitors, then one or two turned into proper restaurants. A guy opened a shop and organised boat tours and rented out bicycles to explore the islands.

Anyway, as I was saying. I wanted to get away from technology but to no avail. I very quickly realised how reliant we are on it and the benefits it can bring, providing it doesn’t run rampant. The one place where there was no technology other than what we brought with us was in the treehouse in the Bokeo rainforest in Laos. When you really go without for a few days, it’s conspicuous in its absence. Nothing to do for entertainment other than tell stories or enjoy a good conversation. I loved it. You learn much more about the people you’re with when you just talk all day, not sit around and watch movies or TV. You connect in a meaningful way, not superficially. Not just to fill the silence between programmes or until the movie starts. Again, I’m being hypocritical here, I do it. I’m guilty of whipping my smartphone out at the first sign of having to kill a few minutes. But I’m just making observations here.

So, lessons learned:

One: While being incredibly irritating sometimes, technology makes life better for a lot of people.
Two: It is inescapable, unless you’re in the middle of the jungle.
Three: Whilst pretending I was escaping it, I did nothing of the sort. I continue to not escape it back home. 
Rats.


No comments:

Post a Comment