27.12.12

On Leaving Home...



I had this lyric stuck in my head for a few weeks before I left- ‘Alone in flight, I am free of equity’. And that pretty much summed up why I left for nearly 3 months. To escape the trappings of work, routine, computers, TV and mobile phones. To go somewhere totally removed from the life I had built up and everything it contains. To live with only what I could carry with me, and what I held in my mind. I wanted to rely on my own intuition and initiative to get by. I’m not trying to make out like I’m some kind of explorer, living on the fringes of civilisation, hunting for my dinner: really I only did what thousands of other people in their twenties do. Fuck off from work for a bit and try to step outside their everyday existence. I didn’t abandon money or my loved ones to go and live in the wilderness. I’m not Chris McCandless. But I did hope that by removing myself from the life I had and viewing it from a distance, I might gain some slivers of insight into that expanse of experience. And by going to South East Asia, I would probably have some amazing experiences in the process. And I did.
This is something of a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment